Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mother Daughter Day

My daughter asked if we could go down to the city Sunday.
Why not.
We didn't have a plan, it was a beautiful day, we figured we'd see what was going on.

Grand Central. I never really looked at it when I was working here. I'd just rush in and out each day!
I was a stressed out maniac!

The ceiling and architecture are beautiful. I don't think I ever paid attention.
All I ever looked at was the train schedule to see if my train was on time!

We headed toward Fifth Ave. and this is what we found, the Columbus Day Parade was beginning.

These women were amazing. They were playing their instruments and dancing the whole time-all the way up 5th!

Isn't he cute?

The parade was so festive, bright colors and music filled the streets!

I don't know how they did it, they danced all afternoon and it was hot!

Brooks Brothers on Madison.

The Helmsley on Madison. Last Winter we saw a bride being photographed at night among the twinkling lights.

Trump Plaza

This young man took us around Central park. He had a little cart attached to his bike.

We felt sorry for the horses, so we didn't take a ride. Really, they were trudging along and looked depressed.




Since it was John Lennon's birthday, a group was performing Beatles songs in the
park in front of the Dakota. I couldn't get a photo-too many people gathered
around. It was fun, everyone was singing along with the group,
'A Little Help From My Friends".

Rockefeller  Center.


Soon the rink will be filled with skaters and the tree will be up.

We decided since we were right here, we should go to The Top Of The Rock and get a few photos.







Ok, now we're getting tired. Time to head down for dinner and then home.


Obviously, Radio City!

Saint Patricks Cathedral.
Whew! Now it's time to hop on the train home!
I can't believe I did the commute everyday when I was young!!!!
I admit, there are days when I really miss my job and the city life.
But, when I hear the trains horn blow at 7am, I roll over in my warm bed 
and am happy I'm not standing on that cold platform!

Hope you enjoyed the little trip!
Have a great day!
-Lynn

I'm linking to:
2805 for a Potpourri Party

13 comments:

Sunny Simple Life said...

What a beautiful city. I hope I get to see it someday. I agree the daily commute blows. Fun day. When I drive my daughter to school and I drive over the packed freeway that I used to be on, I always thank God I am not doing that any longer.

Cottage and Broome said...

Great pictures of NYC you did a lot in one day! Was just there visiting my daughter fun to see pictures of the parade. Thanks for sharing, Laura Cottage and Broome

Meine Dinge Franka said...

O yes I enjoyed this trip very much!
A wonderful day in a wonderful city!!!!

♥ Franka

Gypsy Heart said...

I LOVE NYC! This post makes me want to be there. I love visiting around Christmas time...nothing like it! The Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall and Rockefeller Center are very special that time of year. Once when I was there, we went to the top of the World Trade Center. I don't do heights and it was very difficult for me to be in the observation area with all that glass! I'm so glad now that I did it.

Thanks a million for taking us along ~ great memories!

xo
Pat

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Lynn,

I have always wanted to go to NYC and especially Central Park...Thanks for taking me there. I would like to go at Christmas time and see the huge tree at Rockefeller Center too!
So cool that you have been at Blue Mountain to Ski, it was so beautiful there last weekend and busy lots of people viewing the fall colours!
All the Best,
Christine

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

NYC is just amazing. Sadly, I've only been there once but got to see most of those sites when I was there. Thanks for the lovely tour!

Barbara F. said...

Hi Lynn, visiting from Potpourri Friday. Your photos are fantastic. I am a native New Yorker, born in Brooklyn now living on Staten Island. Worked 25 yrs in Manhattan; these days, happily retired, I shudder to think of how I raced up and down subway steps, waited on over crowded platforms for packed trains, ugh! xo

Honey at 2805 said...

What a beautiful day, and your images catch the city at it's prettiest!

I appreciate you linking to Potpourri Friday! You are such a big help in making it a success!

My Little Home and Garden said...

You brought back some lovely memories of my one and only trip to New York City, Lynn. I'll have to get back again, at some point.
-Karen

Cindy said...

What a fun day you must have had with your daughter. Truly an amazing place, I enjoyed all of your photos.
Hugs, Cindy

Ana said...

Wow Lynn,
Sounds like you and your daughter had a wonderful Mother/Daughter Day. I've never been to NY but am hoping that one day I can. Great pics. Have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

Thanks for the wonderful NYC tour. Even though it's only 1 1/2 hours away, I don't get to The City often enough. Thanks for the terrific tour!!

Yes, it does take lots of practice and a stubborn streak when doing watercolors! lol

Have a super weekend!

Priscilla said...

There is an exciting "vibe" in Manhattan, I guess you're right, it is better left to the young.
You captured that excitement with your pictures. Good post.