Saturday, January 11, 2014

Farro-A Simple Meal

Farro is one of my favorite grains. It's easy to cook and versatile. 
I usually prepare it like risotto and toss in whatever fresh vegetables are in my kitchen.
Once in a while I'll add chicken, but that's not often. Typically I stick with grains,
lentils, nuts, veggies and fish. So, it's up to you, add what you like!




Farrotto With Chicken, Broccoli, Onion, Peas and Spinach

2 cups pearled farro
6 cups (approximately) broth-vegetable or chicken, your choice.
1 cup white wine (approximately-Plus a glass more to enjoy while cooking! I use Chardonnay or whatever is opened)
2 garlic cloves-thinly sliced
2 cups broccoli-chopped & sauteed
2 small onions-chopped
1 cup peas-steamed
1 cup spinach-steamed
1 cup sauteed chicken breast-cubed
Kosher Salt
Grated Parmesan
Olive Oil

Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a stainless steel pot. Add thinly sliced garlic and chopped onion, saute until translucent. Lower heat to medium and toss in farro, stir until coated with oil. Add broth 1 cup at a time, stirring until it absorbs and farro begins to soften. Stir in wine 1 cup at a time. I usually cook this for about 45 minutes in total. Once farro* is ready toss in vegetables and chicken. Top with parmesan and serve.

*Farro has a chewy consistency.

Remember, you can make this dish your own. If you don't like broccoli don't use it, if you love it use more. Experiment!


Enjoy and have a good week!

10 comments:

My Little Home and Garden said...

I haven't prepared this grain before, but your recipe makes me want to try it, Lynn.

Karen

farmhouse-story said...

i've not heard of farro but, pinned it. thanks for sharing with us, lynn! happy weekend!

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Lynn,

Farro is new to me as well...interesting. I will have to try it. Thank you!

bj said...

I've never even heard of this grain...your dish sure looks healthy. :)

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Morning Lynn, I think I will have to join the list of people who have never heard of this grain. I shall be looking out for it in the health shop. Thank you for the recipe. I look forward to trying it out.
Best Wishes
Daphne

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I learned about farro from my son-in-law who went to culinary school. I love it prepared like risotto and your dish sounds so comforting and delicious!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Lynn, I haven't heard of faro. Sounds very healthy and looks yummy! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Miz Helen said...

I sometimes forget about Faro and how good it is. I would love to try your recipe. Thanks for helping us celebrate Three Years at Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day! I have never cooked with Farro before, true!
I always enjoy learning something new!
Thanks for sharing!
Viewed as part of the Foodie Friends Friday Valentine's Day Party!
Cheers! Joanne
http://whatsonthelist.net

Unknown said...

I have never used Farro but have seen and thought I should try it.. Now I have a recipe to try it with. Thanks for sharing these on Foodie Friends Friday Valentine's Party and I hope you will join us for our Snack Food theme party this week.